Voting

Thursday, October 29, 2009

SLS…. what you don’t want in your hair!





Amazing Product Alert! Until I had a Brazilian Keratin Treatment done on my hair this summer I did not know that SLS existed, what it did and what it is in and not in. My new hair treatment required that I use SLS-free shampoo, so I had to do some digging around! For those that just want the product info… Pureology is it! The shampoo is SLS free and I bought it at the salon. I later bought the conditioner online, I cannot decide which I love more. The shampoo leaves your hair soft and tangle free even before you put conditioner in. This is something I have never experienced as a long haired gal… who really has enough hair for three or four people! Also, because the shampoo does not have water already in it (as most shampoos do)… you only need to use a really small amount. My bottle will be lasting me quite awhile! I liked it immediately and LOVED it after I used it a few times.

Now to the Pureology conditioner (SLS is not in conditioner)…..it is minty. I know… weird… but it makes my whole head and shoulder tingly! The bottle says it is Vegan- again something I did not ever really think about it. I know, I know, Vegans… settle down! Again, only a small amount is needed but it makes your hair smooth and shiny. It is truly THE best conditioner I have ever used. Now, I do have to hide the receipt from the hubby, because the Shampoo and Conditioner are expensive (on avg $25), but my hair has never looked better or been easier to style. Take my word on it and go buy yourselves some bottles! You can check out their website for info on what salons carry it. Additionally, you can find it online at amazon.com; the place where I go for just about everything!

Now that you know what the product is … this next bit is for you inquisitive types, aka Science Geeks. So, what is SLS? SLS is a potent de-greaser, acting as a surfactant, binding to the dirt on your hair/scalp and then dragging it down the drain when you rinse. In truth it is the chemical added that makes shampoo sudsy. You will also find it in toothpaste, soaps, floorwax, laundry detergent, etc. If you google around you will see that folks think it does everything from cause hair loss to major health conditions. The danger lies in the fact that SLS is not easily eliminated from the body and so instead it is stored in the lymphatics and the organs of the body… as you can imagine that is not good!



I found list of other SLS free shampoos on a fellow bloggers site: http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/2008/01/sulfate-free-shampoo-list.html I think Burts Bees Shampoo is SLS free too (but never tried it)….on some beauty sites you can actually shop by what is SLS free. So, if you do some reading on SLS you will seriously consider switching to SLS free shampoo, body wash, soap, toothpaste, etc. I am not one of those earthy crunchy all chemicals are bad chics… but if you can avoid SLS… appears to be a good idea and your hair will thank you!

Until Next Time…..xoxo

1 comment: