Voting

Monday, April 19, 2010

K is for Kitchen Makeover. Part One!

Okay, are you excited?  I am excited.  I have freshly painted kitchen cabinets and new countertops! 

Since we moved into our house, I have been troubled by our kitchen.  It was not horrible, it was just not my taste and was too dark!  We had cherry cabinets, black/gray marble look LAMINATE countertops and matching tile floor.  When we bought the house the walls were orange with a darker orange spouged on top!  YIKES!  The paint was the first thing to go... along with the old knobs (white and blue).  I painted it a grey, figuring that was a good neutral and bought stainless steel knobs.  But, try as I may I could not grow to like the kitchen.  I was so committed to a new kitchen that I was willing to forgo a vacation to get what I wanted!   I LOVE to travel, so that says a lot. 

The question was... what to do?  The cabinets were too nice to rip out.  At first I though I would change the floor to hardwood and do a white countertop and leave the cabinets.  But, the more I thought of it the more I realized I should go for the look I wanted which was white cabinets and black countertops.  I have never really loved wood tones, so I knew the cabinets would never make me happy!   I read a design blog that said never sacrifice... and it made me realize that I needed to do what I needed to do!   I always hated the wavy thing above the sink too.  What is that all about?  So, we ripped that out ourselves!   

Here is the before...


This dining area is another issue.  I knew from the moment we bought this house that this space was SCREAMING for a breakfast nook with built in benches.  I will talk more about that on Wednesday.   

   
 
Tomorow, I will reveal the after!  Let's just say... I am a happy woman!  LOVE IT!  Thanks husband for going along with me on this one.

Until next time...xoxo 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment