Voting

Friday, August 20, 2010

W.E.D..... Walk Eat Drink! Savannah!

So, I have always had a thing for the South!  Sadly, today I am wrapping up my final day of my two week southern vacation.  It has been heavenly!  


I lived in Charleston, South Carolina 9 years ago and have been back to visit Charleston and Savannah several times.  I love it here.  The weather is warm, the people are nice and it is just freaking beautiful and historic!  Last summer the husband and I took a road trip down south.  We visited some friends in DC and then continued down and spent 4 days in Charleston (where I had lived), 3 days in Savannah (where I have been 4 or so times) and a day in Hilton Head (which I had never been).  It was glorious!  We decided Hilton Head was a perfect spot to get the family to vacation... and now a year later... here we are with mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, and niece... poolside and beachside relaxing in Hilton Head.


Hilton Head is great for many reasons, one of which is that it is just a quick 45 minute to hour drive to Savannah.    I thought I would share my list of must do things in Savannah.  Come for a day or come for a week.  It is such a gorgeous city with lots to do!
Walk Eat Drink...Savannah!  (Get it! :))

1.  WALK!  The best weather is in September or October.  It is still warm for beach and pool but is not too hot to walk walk walk!  It is not a huge city, but it is best to see on foot.  Meander down the streets with Spanish Moss overhead, walk through the many historic squares in Savannah, visit the Colonial Park Cemetery, and teeter along cobble stoned River Street.   How creepy is this photo I took of the husband in Colonial Park Cemetery? Supposedly that "orb" above his head is a ghost.  Whether you believe in ghosts or not... it was there one second and gone the next.

2.  EAT!  An absolute MUST DO is lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.  The husband and I experienced it for the first time last year and took the sister and brother-in-law this year.  Even Obama has been there!  Yelpers rave about this place.  Now, you have to get in line (We got in line at 10am).  They serve family style starting at 11am.  If you don't get into the first seating, then you have to wait until first group finishes.  I know what you are thinking, but IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!  It is THE best fried chicken I have ever had.  We counted 22 different bowls on the table.  I won't list it all, but it included my favorites; sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, and corned bread stuffing, along with cole slaw, creamed corn, succotash, black eyed peas, butter beans, cheesy mashed potatoes, beef stew, collared greens,  candied yams, cabbage, okra,  cornbread and biscuits!  You will leave VERY VERY full.  They serve a little bowl of banana pudding at the end for dessert which is outstanding.  When you are done you carry your dishes into the kitchen and pay the $16 price (cash only) on your way out.  

My two other favorite restaurants in Savannah are Noble Fare (small menu but all local) is a bit "gourmet" for Savannah but the food is simply amazing.  The Duck Duck Duck is my favorite.  It is sliced duck breast over duck confit risotto with slice of foie gras on top.  Heavenly!  Their Shrimp Bisque and Flourless Chocolate Cake are also to die for.   It is off the beaten path but close walk from historic area!

I also LOVE the Olde Pink House!  Built in 1771- it is wicked historic! :)  The food is amazing and more upscale southern.  Get the fried green tomatoes and goat cheese stuffed artichoke fritters (unfortunately not for preganant people)  for an appetizer.  My entree pick is the Pork Tenderloin (grilled pork tenderloin encrusted with almonds and molasses).  While there, you must visit the basement tavern for a drink!  The tavern is creepy but cool!  Read more about it here!  

3.  DRINK!   When is the last time you went to a bar and ordered a drink and the bartender asked you for here or in a "to go" cup?  In Savannah you can drink on the street.  Which is great but ooh so dangerous.  You can literally begin a night on the town and never once not have a drink in your had!  I highly recommend going on a haunted pub tour in Savannah.  You get some history, hear some very spooky stories, see a ton of bars and can carry a drink along the whole way!  Last summer my husband and I tried to keep up with some younger folks on our tour...bad idea!  This is a photo from last summer... we had had quite a few and you will see are still at the bar!  We were not feeling very good the next day or the next day!  It was so much fun though!    There are several tour companies that do this now, but this is my favorite! 

Here is a little photo gallery of some Savannah highlights! 

This is the Mercer House made famous Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil!


Love all the Spanish Moss!

The husband and I in lovely Forsyth Park!

Beautiful houses abound everywhere!


It is a city definitely worth seeing!  Walk Eat Drink....Savannah.  Until next time...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment