Voting

Friday, January 14, 2011

R is for Recipe!

So, I try not to focus too much on recipes, but every once in a while I find one worth sharing.  Sine I am on maternity I find myself watching a lot of cooking shows on TV.  This often then leads to me perusing the Food Network site.  I came across a recipe that I tried last week.  It was fairly easy to make and the husband enjoyed it!  I then ate the leftovers for lunch several days in a row.  What was it?  Rachel Ray's Mexican Lasagna.  


My favorite thing about finding recipes online is reading the reviews.  When you read the reviews  you can often find improvements for the recipe.  So, based on the reviews I did make some adjustments!  Here is the recipe with my changes!



Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds ground hamburg (this was an adjustment from ground chicken)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1 cup medium heat taco sauce 
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • Salt
  • 8 (8 inch) tortillas
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - twice around the pan. Add meat and season with taco seasoing and red onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add taco sauce. Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.
Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
I served with sour cream... it was yummy!  We usually don't cook mexcian, but this was easy and delicious!  Until next time...xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment