Voting

Friday, February 4, 2011

C is for Crockpot! Another Crockpot recipe...

So, as I  mentioned last week I am trying some new recipes out while on maternity leave.   I am all about EASY recipes.  One of my favorite EASY cooking tips is using the crockpot.  What is not to love?  You throw it all in the pot in the AM and you have an amazing tasty meal by the end of the day. 


Last week I made Pomegranate Beef.  It was amazing.  It was super super easy in that the only thing you needed to cut was onion and garlic!  I found this recipe on one of my very favorite blogs, A Year of Slow Cooking.  


I took some photos (but they do not look at all appetizing), so I am not sharing.   This photo from A Year of Slow Cooking is much much much more appealing.  So, photo credit goes to that blog!   I followed the recipe as is with the exception of the canned tomatoes.  My grocery store did not carry fire roasted crushed tomatoes, so I substituted Hunts crushed tomatoes with onion and garlic.  The first day I served this over yummy mashed potatoes.  When I served as leftovers, I served it over pasta that I had leftover in the fridge.  It would be super yummy over egg noodles too.   


Here is the recipe:  


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 pounds beef roast
4 garlic cloves (whole is fine, or you can chop them)
1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup golden raisins


The Directions:
Use at least a 6-quart slow cooker. Swirl the olive oil into the bottom of the stoneware. Add the onion. Rub the spices on all sides of meat and add to the stoneware with the garlic, the whole can of tomatoes, pomegranate juice, vinegar, and syrup. Sprinkle the raisins on top. 

Cover and cook on low fir 8 hours, or on high for about 5. The meat is done when it has reached desired tenderness. Serve with mashed potatoes and drizzle with the sauce.  




What did the husband rate this recipe?  He gave it an 8....quite  good in husband standards.  He said he would have rated it higher but that my presentation was lacking!  Gotta love him.  He suggested placing meat in "hole" in center of potatoes and drizzle the sauce around the outside of the potatoes.  

Have I mentioned how much I love my crockpot?  Until next time....xoxo 

1 comment:

  1. I love my crock pot as well! This recipe looks great. I'll give it a try!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete