We ate these lentils with a pork chop one night and with my weekly roast chicken another night. They are tasty and hearty. The husband enjoyed the lentils... but still prefers quinoa.
Here is the recipe I used. It is an Emeril recipe from the Food Network website.
- 1/4 pound bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup small diced celery (I left this out as I don't like celery)
- 1/4 cup small diced onion
- 1/4 cup small diced carrot (bought the baby carrots in a bag and just cut some up)
- 1 (17.5 ounce) box green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock (was out of chicken stock so had to substitute beef stock)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the bacon in a saute pan over medium-high heat and saute until bacon is crisp. Add the celery, onions, and carrots and cook until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the lentils and the bay leaves and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
I am thinking I might have to try barley next ... now that I have conquered quinoa and lentils. Until next time....xoxo
PS- Are you proud of me? I finally got back to 3 posts a week. Wish me luck that I can replicate next week. Being a working mom is hard!!!