Voting

Friday, April 8, 2011

L is for Lentils!

I cooked lentils for the first time... exciting! Right?  Since working full time and having a baby... cooking anything intensive is out of the question.  One thing that I have found really helpful is to make something in a larger quantity that we can eat 2 or even three nights.  Quinoa is easy for this- which I have talked about before.  I wanted to find another option apart from Quinoa (which I love) which is fairly easy to cook, reheats well and is good for you.

We ate these lentils with a pork chop one night and with my weekly roast chicken another night.  They are tasty and hearty.  The husband enjoyed the lentils... but still prefers quinoa.

Here is the recipe I used.  It is an Emeril recipe from the Food Network website.


Ingredients

  • 1/4 pound bacon, diced
  • 1/4 cup small diced celery (I left this out as I don't like celery)
  • 1/4 cup small diced onion
  • 1/4 cup small diced carrot (bought the baby carrots in a bag and just cut some up)
  • 1 (17.5 ounce) box green lentils
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 cups chicken stock (was out of chicken stock so had to substitute beef stock)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place the bacon in a saute pan over medium-high heat and saute until bacon is crisp. Add the celery, onions, and carrots and cook until the vegetables are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the lentils and the bay leaves and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.


I am thinking I might have to try barley next ... now that I have conquered quinoa and lentils.  Until next time....xoxo

PS- Are you proud of me?  I finally got back to 3 posts a week.  Wish me luck that I can replicate next week.  Being a working mom is hard!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment