Voting

Monday, June 27, 2011

Meatless Monday!

Photo from Cook in Canuck
Sorry I did not post on Friday- things are pretty busy these days.  But, I did get my act together this weekend and tried something new.  I made some compound butter!  Do you know what compound butter is?  It is butter with additional ingredients added?  Ever been to a restaurant that has yummy garlic butter to go with the rolls?  That...my friend is compound butter.


Summer in New England is ripe with fresh herbs.  I love fresh herbs, but often I only use a little and the rest goes to waste.  When I googled around to see if you could somehow preserve herbs... I was introduced to the notion of making compound butter!  


So,  since it is Meatless Monday- I will recommend compound butter for your vegetable medley, corn on the cob or pasta.  I whipped up a quick lunch on Saturday of some egg noodles with lemon dil butter.  It was light but flavorful!  Now, you can also use compound butter on meat- throw some on piece of chicken, fish or steak.  Delish!


My baby food freezing trays came in VERY handy for making compound butter as I mixed it all together and then froze it, just as I have been with baby food.  Now, my first attempt of compound butter included a HUGE bunch of dill.   Making lemon dill butter proved to be very very easy!  I quadrupled the recipe because I had a lot of dill and bought a whole package of butter.




Ingredients
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill

Directions
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix together with a rubber spatula. Or combine in a food processor. Scrape the butter onto a long sheet of wax paper, forming a straight line. Fold the end of the paper over the butter and roll into an even cylinder, about the diameter of a silver dollar. Twist each end and place in the refrigerator until solid, about 2 hours.

For long-term storage, keep in the freezer. Remove needed amount when ready to use, and allow to soften to room temperature for easy spreading.  If you have ice cube trays or baby food trays you can use those instead of forming a "log".

The ice cube tray method is great as one "cube" is the perfect amount to throw on a platter of veggies or into some pasta or on a nice piece of fish!

My farmers market has AMAZING herbs and they are SO cheap!  I plan to whip myself up many many more compound butters in the near future!  Think .... lime cilantro butter or garlic chive butter or lemon mint butter or sage butter ..... to name a few!   Go get yourself some herbs.  Until next time....xoxo
  

No comments:

Post a Comment