Voting

Monday, October 17, 2011

S & B.... Sauce & Balls!

Photo Credit
Yes, for the first time I made homemade tomato sauce and meatballs.  Very exciting!  My mother did not have a recipe as she "wings it".  So I hit the web in search of my trademark sauce.  You know... the sauce that will become our family recipe ... the one my daughter will pass down to her kids! :)  


So, I started with the Barefoot Contessa as she can do no wrong.  I took her basic recipe, read all the online reviews, and added what I thought sounded good!  I added more pork (and no veal) as veal was too hard to find.  I ended up with the following recipe that I have to say was pretty damn good.  



Ingredients


For the meatballs:

  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 extra-large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
    5 tbsp minced garlic
    1/2 tsp chopped crushed red pepper
  • Vegetable oil
  • Olive oil

For the sauce:

  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup good red wine, such as Chianti
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or plum tomatoes in puree, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Directions

Place the ground meats, both bread crumbs, along with rest of dry ingredients, plus 3/4 cup milk in a bowl. Combine very lightly with a fork. Using your hands, lightly form the mixture into 2-inch meatballs. You will have approximately 14 to 16 meatballs.
Bake Meatballs on a greased (or non-stick) cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  
For the sauce, heat the olive oil pan.   Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and cook on high heat until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Return the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for at least 25 to 30 minutes.  The longer you let it cook ... the better as the flavors merge together.    Serve hot on cooked spaghetti and pass the grated Parmesan.
I quadrupled this recipe... yes quadrupled (I had hit BJ's Wholesale that day.) and froze it in dinner sized portions. It rocks that every few weeks I can pop a meal out of my freezer that is yummy and homemade!  

Make some sauce and balls for yourself (insert italian accent here)!  Until next time...xoxo

PS: Away for weekend and forgot to bring my Birchbox so could not blog it today!  It will be posted on Wednesday!  Come back and see. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment