|Photo from Veggie 101|
The husband gave this recipe an 8 which is a high mark for a meatless meal!
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbs.)
- 1 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 1 12-oz. bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley (I did not have this so did not include)
DIRECTIONS1. Bring large pot of water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, warm oil over medium heat in large nonstick saucepan. Sauté eggplant, onion and bell pepper 5 to 10 minutes, until eggplant is soft but not mushy. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Add olives, tomatoes and capers, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in oregano and chili flakes. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer while pasta cooks.
3. Add tortellini to boiling water, and cook according to package directions, being careful not to overcook. Drain pasta, return to pot, and stir in puttanesca sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired, and parsley, and serve.
Get yourself to your farmers market and pick up some eggplant and whip up a batch of this stuff. It is good... and makes hearty serving for 4!
Until next time....xoxo