Voting

Monday, October 24, 2011

B.... brunch!

So, for those of us with kids brunch is the new "dinner".  I love to entertain and was frequently having other couples over for dinner.  Then,  Avery arrived and that went out the window!  Well, now that our life is a bit more predictable (just a bit)....I am determined to re-energize our social life!

This past weekend we had our friends the "S's" over for brunch.  We were having them and their lovely daughter who is 6 weeks younger than Avery over to carve pumpkins.  For us adults- it was our 6th annual pumpkin carving together.  We started when we were all dating and now 6 years later we are each married with a baby.  Wow- times change!

With a dog, babies and a task to do- I wanted to cook a brunch meal that was easy but delicious.  I wanted something I could mostly pre-make and just pop in the over when the time was right.  So, I made some pancakes (easy to pre-make) and I made baked eggs.  They were yummy and easy.

Here is the recipe from Food Network:  


Ingredients

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees F and arrange rack in middle. Butter 4 (6-ounce) ramekins and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When it foams, add onion, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until spinach is well wilted, about 2 minutes.
Place diced ham on bottom of ramekins and top with spinach.  If you are pre-making, you can stop here and put in fridge for "go time".  Can be made hours in advance.   
Crack eggs into ramekins, place 1 tablespoon cream over each egg, and divide half of cheese evenly among ramekins.
Put ramekins on a baking sheet and bake, rotating pan halfway through baking, until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 15 to 18 minutes.  (I like my yolks hard- so I cooked for 20 minutes plus.)
Meanwhile, spread remaining 2 tablespoons butter on 4 slices sourdough bread. Top with grated cheese and toast until golden brown. Serve eggs with toast.
Mrs. S does not eat pork, so I put diced up tomato on the bottom in place of ham.  I also put two eggs in each ramekin so that it was more of a meal.    If you don't have ramekins- you can do in muffin tins.  There are many ways to change this up.... different veggies or different cheese or whatever.  Easy, make ahead and delicious!  

Brunch it up!  Until next time.....xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, I'll be cooking this soon!

    ReplyDelete