Voting

Monday, May 31, 2010

S.R.... Summer Recipe!

Happy Memorial Day!  I hope everyone has had some time to enjoy beautiful weather (we have had some in Boston) and BBQ.  I am sharing one of my favorite BBQ recipes today.  This is my standard item I always bring to a good cookout- just brought to my sister's house the other night.  It is always a hit and is easy to make.  It also serves a big group- which is usually very helpful

I had Orzo Pasta Salad at a friend's house once.  Enamored by it- I googled around until I found a recipe that sounded good and then changed it to fit what I wanted it to be.  (Photo is pretty photo from google search- not my actual orzo!)

ORZO PASTA SALAD


1 Box Orzo pasta
 1 clove garlic
¼ cup (or so) olive oil
white wine vinegar (to taste…1/4 cup or so)
1 tablespoon stone ground (gourmet style) mustard
1/4 tablespoon of dijon mustard (adds a little kick)
2 0r 3 shallots
1 stalks green onion
2/3 or 1 whole cucumber
1 container grape tomatoes (cut in half)
¼ cup of toasted pine nuts (you buy them and toast them in sautee pan yourself)
(You can add Feta cheese if you want too… which is yummy… probably like ½ cup or so.  Just add at end when you are mixing it up.)  I have also substituted sliced up fresh mozzarella which is delicious too!

Boil orzo as indicated on box and chill for 1 hour (if you can).   Brown pine nuts in a frying pan until golden brown.  Dice green onion, and  peel and slice cucumber.   I cut the cucumber into 1/4 inch wedges.  In large bowl add your diced green onion, sliced cucumber, chilled orzo and halved grape tomatoes.  In separate bowl, mix together chopped shallots, chopped garlic, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 mustards and add vinegar to taste. Let dressing stand 15 minutes then pour over pasta mixture and add cooled pine nuts and cheese (if you choose too).    Chill until ready to serve.

This is a great side dish to any BBQ and can be a summer main dish if you add already cooked and chilled salmon or chicken  on top.

Happy Memorial Day!  Until next time....xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Going to try this for Girls Night tonight. :)

    A. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The verdict is in---everyone, EVERYONE liked this dish. I didn't buy pine nuts because the price was just obscene for barely a sneeze worth. I used roasted/salted soy nuts instead. The feta was a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked it. I will have to try soy nuts. Pine nuts are expensive... but the nutty element is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete