Voting

Monday, November 7, 2011

M... Meatless Monday!

I have another meatless Monday meal for you!  It is an oldie but a goodie.  I have developed a mild obsession with learning to cook classics that every mom should know how to make.  I hope someday that Avery will say "my mom made the best XX".    I recently made tomato sauce and meatballs for the first time.  I am still working on a few other "classics", but today is the true comfort food.... tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.    Now, I should say that I typically don't love tomato soup... I particularly don't love canned tomato soup.

Ingredients:
1 cup onion, diced
½ cup carrot, peeled and diced
½ cup celery, diced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
½ tablesoon dried dill
½ tablespoon dried basil
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup cognac brandy
1 garlic clove, minced
fresh ground pepper to taste

(1) In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat sauté onion, carrot, and celery in butter until soft, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
(2) Add flour to onion mixture; cook until flour is lightly golden about 1 minute.
(3) Add tomato paste to onion mixture; continue cooking another 2 minutes.
(4) Transfer onion mixture to a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker insert; add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, dried dill, dried basil, sugar, and salt; cover and place insert in slow cooker heating base. Cook on low for 4 hours.
(5) Add cream, brandy, garlic, fresh ground pepper to taste, cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
(6) Using a handheld immersion blender, purée until smooth and creamy.* Serve.
*Option: If you don’t have a blender, enjoy your soup country style (unblended).


Now, I found this particular recipe on my friend Shannon's blog.  (See day 16.)   This was my first attempt at tomato soup and it was tasty and satisfying.  Success!  The husband was more excited than I thought a grown man would be for grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.

Soup.... there it is! :)  Until next time...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment