Voting

Monday, August 15, 2011

M.M.... Meatless Monday! Spaghetti Squash!

This week for Meatless Monday I wanted to try Spaghetti Squash!  I googled around in search of a recipe- there were quite a few to choose from, but I landed on Herbed Spaghetti Squash!  It caught my eye as it uses all fresh herbs to flavor the squash.  I did change up the recipe a bit.... my adaptation is below!  It is important to note that I served this with a very generous tomato mozzarella salad so I could include protein (cheese).... the husband looked worried when I told him we were eating squash with herbs. :)


Ingredients

  • 1 small spaghetti squash, about 2 1/4 pounds
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 2  tablespoons finely chopped basil
  • 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Pierce skin of Spaghetti Squash 5 or 6 times with a sharp knife.  Put squash in pan and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes (or so), until the squash is easily pierced with a paring knife. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.  Cut squash in half (the short way).   Using a spoon, remove the seeds and discard. Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a mixing bowl.
Heat a skillet. Add the butter, spaghetti squashherbs, garlic salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to heat and combine. Add in pine nuts at last minute.  Serve immediately with generous sprinkling of fresh parmesan on top. 


I hated cooking spaghetti squash in the past because recipes called for you to cut in half before cooking.  That is IMPOSSIBLE to me.  I am afraid to lop of a finger as it is kind of like cutting a pumpkin in half- hard!!!  The verdict... the husband rated this higher than me.  Shocking.  He gave it a 7 (said would have rated higher if it had meat sprinkled on top).  I gave it a 6.  I liked it, but it did not "woo" me.  I would say it is not a memorable meal.   I might think about it as a side dish (maybe mixed with pesto).  If you have not had spaghetti squash before- it is kind of a subtle taste with a light crunch.  


Go.... Meatless!  Check out my favorite meatless meals here, here and here!  Until next time...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment