Voting

Monday, July 18, 2011

M.M.... Meatless Monday!

Okay, I am bringing you another sandwich.  What can I say .... working mom....in search of easy dinners! :)  This is a yummy recipe for egg salad that my friend S.H. shared with me that is from Pioneer Woman.  There is a cafe in Cambridge that makes THE most amazing egg salad that is covered with avocado!  It is one of my top 5 favorite sandwiches, so I was eager to give this a try!  

I am making a few adjustments to Pioneer Woman's recipe.  First, I am halving the recipe for those of us with only two mouths to feed.   Her recipe made a lot of egg salad.  Secondly, she put EVERYTHING including the eggs in the food processor.  Maybe it is just because we have been making a ton of baby purees... but we did not love the egg salad so smooth, we wanted chunky.   Though I will say hers looks chunkier than mine ended up!   I also added a dash more vinegar and substituted red onion for chives.  A week ago I had a TON of chives, but used them to make compound butter.

Here is my adaptation of Pioneer Woman's recipe:


Ingredients

  • 4 whole Hard Boiled Eggs, Peeled
  • 1 whole Avocados, Pitted
  • 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • Black Pepper To Taste
  • 1 teaspoon Chives Chopped (or Red Onion or something else zesty)

Preparation Instructions

Place eggs in a large bowl and mash until broken into small bits but still chunky and put to the side.  In the bowl of a small food processor combine the avocado, mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, salt/pepper and pulse until creamy.   Pour this creamy avocado goodness into the large bowl with the eggs and mix together.  Stir in the chives/red onion/whatever.  
Spoon the egg salad onto soft sandwich bread with Dijon mustard spread on it.  Add a slice of tomato and you have yourself a sandwich!    This recipe will make you two or three sandwiches depending on how much egg salad you add to each!  
This is a quick and easy sandwich (make the eggs ahead of time and allow to hang out in the fridge).  Hopefully next week's Meatless Monday will offer you more than a sandwich!  Until next time...xoxo
PS:  Have you missed my other Meatless Monday recipes?  Check them out... here... here... here ...  here ... here and here!  

1 comment:

  1. It was a little tough to convince me that a sandwich could be dinner because I always have a sandwich for lunch. However, if the sandwich is a special sandwich, it could work. This fit the bill, esp on a hot summer night when no one wants to be within 10 feet of a stove (even if it's off). Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete